After ten days of hiking, slipping, camping, showering under waterfalls and living on a banana farm; I am back from the wild. My trip to the Kalalau valley gave me some much-needed perspective what matters, what doesn't matter and then some. Here are some of the then somes:
- Living on a banana farm with Jen's uncle Joe and a guy named Pirate has given me new found appreciation for the finer things in life, most notably Coors Light.
- A Mac-N-Cheese-Spam dinner with a guy named Bill (a stone mason who lives and works on the Kalalau trail - without being paid) was the last meal I will ever eat containing spam.
- When camping in the place where they filmed Jurassic Park, you should wear mosquito repellent (Mario...nope) and filter your water (Patrick...nope).
- Hiking on top of 3000ft cliffs for a week, I got to see a lot of wild goats. They like heights. I don't.
- We survived a heck of storm on top of one of those enormous cliffs. You won't ever see me not finish my plate again.
- I read five books and 1500+ pages during my trip. Walden was the best. It made me want to garden. And buy one of those cool new Amazon Kindles.
I uploaded 400+ pictures to my Flickr account. Here is one of my favorites. Sunsets Footsteps. Click below to get to the rest.